Merritt Hawkins is conducting a nationwide search for a new cardiothoracic anesthesiologist to join a rapidly expanding Cardiac program at (SUNY Upstate). The SUNY Medical University in Syracuse, New York seeks an outstanding cardiothoracic anesthesiologist with a strong interest in pursuing an academic career at the rank of assistant professor, associate professor, or professor. Rank will be determined by the qualifications of the selected candidate. The preferred candidate will have completed an anesthesiology-based adult cardiothoracic anesthesiology fellowship or have equivalent experience. Duties will include the direct patient care in cardiothoracic anesthesia and teaching and supervision of anesthesiology residents and medical students.
A few highlights of this opportunity:
- Service area in Upstate New York exceeds 1.5 million population
- Limited competition in the community
- Anticipate a volume of 500 annual heart cases per year and a variety of coronary artery bypass graft, heart valve procedures, thoracic aortic procedures, and general non-cardiac/thoracic cases
- Play a role in the strategic development of a new Heart Institute that will provide comprehensive cardiovascular services to Upstate New York
- One in four call for cardiac cases only—no general call
- All surgery is performed at one site of service
- Prestigious teaching institution with opportunity for clinical research
- Opportunity to become Program Director of new cardiac fellowship
Home of the Syracuse Orange and the only domed stadium in the Northeast provides an excellent venue for NCAA Division I Football and Basketball. Summer and winter, there are ample outdoor recreational options at our numerous nearby county and state parks. Downhill and cross-country skiing, ice skating, swimming, boating and hiking opportunities are all within a 30-minute drive of the medical center. Cultural attractions such as museums, theater, symphony, jazz fests, and home for the New York State Fair. The area is consistently ranked as having the “Top 100” public education in the United States. Located less than five hours from Boston, New York City, Montreal, or Toronto, it affords quick access to large metropolitan venues.
- The SUNY Upstate Medical University is in the city of Syracuse, in central New York State. Syracuse has a metropolitan area population of approximately 750,000.
- Central New York is a beautiful, friendly and very affordable place to live.
- CNN’s Money magazine named Syracuse the No. 8 city in the nation with the most affordable real estate market.
- Parenting magazine lists Syracuse as one of the top 10 small cities to raise a child.
- Syracuse ranked No. 4 in the Forbes listing of the Top 10 cities to raise a family.
Upstate Medical University is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin.