Merritt Hawkins, the nation’s premiere academic physician search firm, in partnership with the Department of Anesthesiology at the University of Kansas Medical Center (KUMC) invites applications for the position of Vice Chair of Research at the rank of Associate Professor or Professor.
The University of Kansas Medical Center is the regions premier academic medical center with nationally ranked programs in Cancer, Cardiovascular Diseases and Neurosciences. The Department of Anesthesiology seeks to become a leading destination for clinician scientists within the field through expansion of research programs and increasing external funding. The current research portfolio includes programs in pain medicine, cardiovascular, cancer pain, neurosciences, perioperative medicine outcome, and informatics. Collaborative institutional research is supported by 29 research cores and 31 centers and institutes. Lab space and additional resources are available for an incoming candidate.
The Vice Chair of Research will provide leadership, direction and supervision over all departmental research activities in conjunction with the Chair of Anesthesiology. The Vice Chair of Research will be responsible for:
- Driving growth and collaboration within the department and externally
- Facilitating and executing the department’s research strategic plan
- Assisting with ongoing recruitment and development of research faculty
- Partnering with the School of Medicine and KUMC administration to meet and exceed our research mission and values
The ideal candidate will have:
- Familiarity with NIH and grant funding systems with a demonstrated record of extramural funding
- Experience with submitting and executing novel investigative studies
- History of successful programmatic oversight including faculty and investigator mentorship and the management of a research team, budget and space plan
- Terminal doctoral degree in a basic or clinical science: PhD, MD, or a combined MD/PhD
- Primary focus on basic, translational, and/or clinical research within the realm of the broad specialty of anesthesiology, perioperative medicine, pain medicine, and critical care
The University of Kansas Health System is a 784 bed general medical and surgical facility which consistently earns national recognition for outstanding quality and safety. Recent awards include receiving US News & World Report’s Best Hospital Designation for the 10th
consecutive year in 11 different specialties, along with recognition as Best Hospital in Kansas City for the 7th
time, and Best Hospital in Kansas for the 5th
time. The University of Kansas Medical Center is located in Kansas City, a bi-state region of greater than 2 million MSA population which offers a diverse culture, robust arts scene, and access to world class professional sporting events.The University of Kansas Health System is an equal employment opportunity employer without regard to a person’s race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy, gender identity, and sexual orientation), national origin, ancestry, age (40 or older), disability, veteran status or genetic information.