Merritt Hawkins has partnered with the Department of Pediatrics at Western Michigan University Homer Stryker MD School of Medicine (WMed) in the recruitment of a board eligible or board-certified Pediatric Endocrinologist to join its growing academic department. The department has approximately 60 community-based and 20 full-time academic employed faculty members. The pediatric residency program is a fully accredited program with all subspecialty care and tertiary care capabilities. There are 24 categorical pediatric and 16 medicine-pediatric residents. Highlights:
- New medical school opened in 2014
- Nine long-standing residency programs
- All pediatric sub-specialty support available; strong pediatric hospitalist team handling acute diabetic problems
- Join a thriving practice including two pediatric endocrinology faculty, a dietician and a nurse practitioner
- Documented patient volume to support three full-time faculty members
- PCMH Model with everything on-site, state-of-the-art equipment
- Nursing staff are members of the Pediatric Endocrinology Nursing Society
- Diabetes clinics include Social Worker and Diabetes Nurse Educator assessment
- Laboratory research space, a Clinical Research Center and a Department of Statistics provide infrastructure and tools for investigators; protected research and scholarly activity time
WMed is one of the few U.S. medical schools in several decades to be built from the ground up. Established in 2012, WMed is a private nonprofit medical school located in Kalamazoo, Michigan, and is a collaboration between a top-100 public University in WMU and Kalamazoo’s two award-winning teaching hospitals, Borgess Health and Bronson Healthcare. In 2011, Western Michigan University received a gift of $100 million for the medical school from the Stryker family, and much of these resources went towards building what is today a beautiful state-of-the-art medical school facility. There is also a new state-of-the-art Simulation Center to promote SBL curriculum with 8 simulation rooms, procedure labs, task trainer rooms, 12 standardized patient exam rooms, and 6 classrooms. We are excited to graduate the WMed charter class of 2018 this coming summer!
The community of Kalamazoo, Michigan…
Kalamazoo is a wonderful and vibrant city, located midway between Chicago and Detroit. It is a short distance from Lake Michigan, and home to two nationally ranked institutions of higher learning, Western Michigan University and Kalamazoo College. Kalamazoo is known for its community focus and emphasis on access to quality education at all levels. The Kalamazoo Promise is a nationally renowned program in which graduates of Kalamazoo Public Schools receive free tuition to attend public and private colleges in Michigan. At the other end of the educational continuum, the Kalamazoo Ready 4s program ensures that every 4-year-old in Kalamazoo County has the opportunity to attend a high-quality pre-kindergarten program, regardless of ability to pay. Kalamazoo and Michigan provide extensive entertainment and recreational activities, including opportunities to enjoy the outdoors, unique restaurants and shops, and a strong culture supporting the arts.